Shadow people (also known as shadow ghosts, shadow figures, shadow beings, shadow men, or shadow folk ) are supernatural shadow-like humanoid figures that, according to believers, are seen mostly in peripheral vision and move quickly. They are sometimes known in modern folklore and paranormal popular culture as dark entities with malevolent intentions.
Several scientific principles can be used to explain reports of shadow people, including optical illusions or hallucinations brought on by physiological/psychological circumstances, drug use or side effects of medication, and the interaction of external agents on the human body.
An illusion of a shadow person can be created when the left temporoparietal junction, a specific region of the brain, is stimulated.
Figures seen in peripheral areas of vision can sometimes be explained as pareidolia, a phenomenon in which the brain incorrectly interprets random patterns of light/shadow or texture as familiar patterns such as faces and human forms.
Hypnagogia (also known as “waking-sleep”), a physiological condition in which one is partially between sleep and awakeness, could also account for such perceptions. During hypnagogia, one can be conscious and aware of their environment, but also in a dream-like state where they can perceive images from their subconscious. People experiencing hypnagogia commonly report seeing or sensing lights or shadows moving around them, as well as other visual hallucinations and even a (subtle or powerful) feeling of dread. Hypnagogia is sometimes known as ‘the faces-in-the-dark phenomenon’ because these people commonly report seeing faces while experiencing hypnagogia.
Fake or not, they’re so interesting.
I still see them. I think they’re legit, but that’s just me.
this kind of stuff makes me wonder if spirits can project or manipulate energy that affects certain parts of our brains, to make us perceive things that aren’t really there in order to make a statement or something..
I think this happened to me recently? 0.o
I honestly think that’s the most common ways spirits ‘manifest’. They aren’t really solid, they’re just energy, no physicality. so when the ‘manifest’… I think they’re projecting an image of themselves, and our brain interprets it a bit differently because of the frequency mix-up. And it’s probably in their best interest, because then everyone who ‘thinks’ that they’ve seen these shadow people, haven’t actually seen anything, which reduces credibility among people. I can totally see poltergeists and other obnoxious spirits manipulating this theory.
I know for a fact that im prone to Hypnagogia. Happened loads of times…
- shadow people
- officialatlas reblogged this from huntedwitch
- circleart likes this
- redandwhitewitch reblogged this from huntedwitch
- slippils reblogged this from die-walkure13
- die-walkure13 reblogged this from thunderingwaves
- itsmywaytolive reblogged this from vanhouten-peter
- vanhouten-peter reblogged this from aidenagreen
- lincolncountyparanormal reblogged this from constantine-spiritworker
- puffyrobin reblogged this from faeryprincee
- lupuskarime reblogged this from deathistheroadtoawe and added:
- aidenagreen reblogged this from stuffyluffy
- ankhh reblogged this from fallbekinddd
- bamffigaro reblogged this from neon-native
- eyries reblogged this from fox-wyrd and added:
- hellboywearshotpants reblogged this from thatguyhasabeardandmoxie
- deathistheroadtoawe reblogged this from thecouscousqueen and added:
- huntedwitch reblogged this from craftandmagic
- solara-moon reblogged this from thewitchisin and added:
- dub-stacks-bud-snatch reblogged this from faeryprincee
- bellaofthenight reblogged this from thewitchisin
- enchantedtowers reblogged this from thewitchisin
- faeryprincee reblogged this from thewitchisin
- thewitchisin reblogged this from craftandmagic
- godlovelifemusic reblogged this from constantine-spiritworker and added:
- koridominique reblogged this from jkbutnotreally
- jkbutnotreally reblogged this from asfaultsuxlol
- theyallwillremain reblogged this from thatguyhasabeardandmoxie
- vanityinthethorns reblogged this from thecouscousqueen
- constantine-spiritworker reblogged this from pat1ence and added:
- geekmystic reblogged this from constantine-spiritworker and added:
- pat1ence reblogged this from constantine-spiritworker and added:
- brokenseahorse reblogged this from thecouscousqueen
- craftandmagic reblogged this from constantine-spiritworker
- thunderous-dandelion reblogged this from thecouscousqueen
- theurbanpanda reblogged this from thecouscousqueen
- thatguyhasabeardandmoxie reblogged this from fiendlover and added:
- thecouscousqueen reblogged this from fiendlover
- steph-allover reblogged this from angelmakesmora
- angelmakesmora reblogged this from girlfungus
- leetaylor4l reblogged this from yumbadgermilk
- jaenarae reblogged this from masudasan and added:
- neon-native reblogged this from wtf-china
- masudasan reblogged this from girlfungus and added:
- girlfungus reblogged this from yumbadgermilk
- versace-prince reblogged this from hio3 and added:
- cupcakevandorn reblogged this from severelycalm and added:
- aquarterpastcapaldi reblogged this from hausofjamey
- romanostache reblogged this from himapapaftw